Education
From the earliest times there was a tradition of education in the parish. About the year 630 St Cuimín founded a monastery at Kilcommon which became a retreat for prayer, study and education. When the educational institutions of the church were broken up by Henry V111, the Bardic schools took their place. One of the most notable of the Brehon families were the MacEgans who were a family of scribes, poets historians and authors and had a residence and land at Kilnahalagh (Sopwell). With the dissolution of the monasteries in the 16th century and the suppression of the Bardic schools in the Cromwellian period, many schools and teachers continued their work in the Hedge Schools which flourished until Catholic Emancipation in 1829. Many of the Hedge Schools or Pay Schools as they were to become known, were absorbed into and replaced by the National Schools.


Shinrone
National School


Clonlisk
National School


Ballincoor
National School


Pike
National School

Sopwell
School

Cloughmoyle
National School